We lost another duckling last night. No idea what happened. It was dead in the nest this morning. Not smushed or damaged, just laying there. Now we're down to five.
We have a tree that I thought was a crab apple tree, but it turns out, it's not. The little fruits are jellybean sized and turning red now. I took some photos and consulted a plant identification group. Turns out it's a Nanking Cherry! We can harvest, process, and eat the cherries. Now I just have to figure out a recipe for jam or jelly, or maybe pie to use some and try it out. I love when food is in abundance, and even more so when it's unexpected and free!
I've got the new rabbit tractor partially assembled. We're using an old turtle trap for the "bones" of the structure. I've added the wooden door on the one side, and the wooden planks inside that will eventually hold the water dish and the bin for the rabbit to rest in up off the ground. I still need to drill holes in the bin and the edges of the food and water dishes, then wire or screw them into place. I also need to rig up old feed bags as the water-proof roofing. I'm still waiting for #3 to cut wire patches to cover the bigger gaps in the wiring. Once that's all set, we'll be ready to try it out! I think we'll use some of the colony grow outs that aren't selling right now as our initial guinea pigs to try it out. I'm hoping to get some photos tomorrow if I can remember.