Last night I didn't plug my phone in before I went to bed. It was at 70-something percent, so I figured it would be fine. Well, it would have, had I turned off my wifi hot spot. It died sometime in the night, so none of my morning alarms went off. I woke up at 7:40, Tony was already at work, the bus was long since gone by, and I don't drive. I called my mom, but her cell phone was dead too, and her home phone went straight to voicemail. Twice. So I let the kids sleep in. No sense waking them up at 8am when I have no way to get them to school. It was something like 9 degrees out with 20-30 mile an hour winds. Not really what you want them to walk the two miles to school in... especially the 8 year old.
Kids all seemed to wake up simultaneously at about 10:15, and #2, upon hearing that my alarms had failed and I had no way to get them to school, got ready for school, packed his backpack, and WALKED TO SCHOOL! I gave him a note for being late and to excuse #1 (she wasn't about to walk in the cold). I was so impressed, I gave him his cell phone back that he'd lost last Thursday after having a major Aspergers meltdown that included quite a string of swear words. I'm impressed with his attitude toward school this year. He seems to be getting back on track, and really enjoys being there. How refreshing!
Tomorrow we're meeting the lady we got Josh, Tweak, and Leonardo from. I'm so excited. We are bringing home five new ducks. I plan to leave them in the bunny barn, all closed up for the day, to make sure they have space to get to know each other. We will have to come up with new names now too. I suppose we should wait a while to figure out if we have boys or girls and who is who though. Might be weird to name them and have them turn out to be a different gender. I did some research and it seems their voices give away their gender most readily. And if in doubt, they will grow a curled tail feather if they're male. Both Leonardo and Tweak have a curled tail. I think Captain Barnacles does too. I know Dashi is currently our only female duck, so I'm really hoping that a good portion of these new ducks are female.
Today the kids found an additional two eggs in the nest box, and two more on the floor. And yet still none are from Boss Lady (who is still diligently sitting on eggs). Yesterday I numbered the eggs with a permanent marker (1-7) so we could remove extra eggs. She already has so many that some stick out from under her and I'm sure they're not staying warm enough.
Today I had the kids steal two of the numbered eggs (4 and 7) and we attempted to candle them. Let me start by saying, I had no idea what I was doing. I expected to see some cool veins or the outline of a chick or something. Instead they hardly glowed at all. Just one space on either egg shown through with the light from my cell phone. We compared it to one of the fresh eggs and that one was bright and clear and you could see the whole egg illuminated. We put the numbered eggs back in the nest and I looked up candling chicken eggs. It seems that for roughly 10 days into this adventure, the candling looks like normal ten day old incubating eggs. So I guess we're still in the running for more chickens here in the near future. Just 11 days left until we should get our first peek and whatever comes out of those eggs. I'm not sure what to expect (well, aside from a baby chicken of course). Momma will have been Henrietta the barred rock hen, and father - well, that could be Sterling, our big silver legged rooster (no idea what his breed is), or it could potentially be one of the two silkie roosters. I'm just hoping that we get live chicks and can keep them alive and healthy for them to grow up, so we can see what we have.
Tonight I'm going to make sure my phone is plugged in!