So, updates... Here goes!
He has since found some flaws in the bag design, so I will have to modify it some. His writing utensils stick out the bottom of the red pocket, so I will have to figure out how to line it with fabric somehow. He also said the drawstring bag rests on the bottom of the bag when it's closed because the string is too long, so I pulled it partially closed, then cut and shortened the drawstring so it can't fully open (at his request) so it stays higher up in the bag. I offered to just make him a smaller dice pouch, but he just wanted the line shortened. I also need to lengthen the top flap, so I made him take all his school stuff out so I could fix it. Lessons learned I guess. It's all an experience and I think over-all I did pretty good considering I didn't have a pattern and did it all by pure imagination.
To celebrate finishing a big project, I worked on some smaller projects. My first attempt? A cat toy. This one is made from the plastic ring at the top of a milk jug, and some blue yarn. It looks like an octopus. I have not tested it on our kitties yet, but hope to soon.
Turns out, the only yellow yarn I had was the fuzzy kind. I don't even know why I have it because I don't use it. Anyway, I managed to made a rainbow colored dish washing cloth, which #1 was pleased with. She won't use it to wash though because she likes it too much. When you make something a little too well, I suppose.
My next project was to make individual colors to make a rainbow pack - one red, one orange, one yellow, one green, one blue, and one purple pad and they could be sold as a set. I know I had a nice skein of soft yellow yarn once upon a time, but alas, it was in the basement flood last year. I really lost so much. All of my crafting stuff. Makes me sad to think about it. But I digress. I have made five of the six so far. I picked up a skein of yellow yarn today while out shopping..
Looks like we have three white with black or really dark chestnut spots, one black with a white foot, one weird black/chestnut colored one, and one tort. If our early estimates are correct, we might have a lot of girls and just one little boy. It's too early to tell for sure right now, so don't think it's set in stone. Lots of longer lionhead fur in this litter. No short curly rex coats this time around.
This poor guy has it rough though. He seems to have suffered a leg injury. He's not using his back right leg as of when we were handling him. I'm going to keep an eye on him and see how he progresses. I don't know if we're dealing with a strain or a sprain or something worse. I'm hoping he'll be alright with some time to heal. So for now, this little baby is getting the dreaded "not for sale" designation.
The first lady never showed up. Over an hour later she did get a hold of me, and it turns out she's had some personal issues come up and won't be able to adopt bunnies right now. That means the two littlest bucks from Kaelyn's litter are now back up for sale. They'll need names now, since everyone else got names. The other two are Newman and Corduroy. I'm not sure what these ones will be called. I was really hoping they'd just find new homes today, but alas, they're back home tonight with their momma.
The meet this evening went much better. Three bunnies (Meadow, Almond, and Twinkle Star) all went off to their new family.
I got nest boxes in Snowflake, Spotty, and Thumper's cages. Thumper started pulling fur this morning, and Spotty had a mouthful of grass and fur when I put her nest box in this evening. Official due date for these three is the 26th, but with a rain storm coming tonight and tomorrow, it's possible we may have early arrivals. The bunnies do seem to prefer delivering during shifting weather conditions.
We have four new arrivals in the colony building. It seems Spot has gifted us with a small litter just as the other litter is leaving the nest box and darting around the building. There were six, but two didn't make it through delivery. The four survivors were transferred off the ground and put into a nest box to help keep them a little more contained and hopefully deter the bigger babies from trampling them. There's one solid black, two broken black, and one that's white with markings but they're not black. Maybe fawn or tan or tort? They're pretty hairless at the moment, so I'll have to see how that one comes along.
Spotty was supposed to be a rex that we bought for #4, but she's not. She's been bred to Servine, our purebred Rex buck to see if she throws Rex coated kits. If she does, she carries for Rex and is a Rex cross. If not, she's not even a Rex cross and we will have to guess her breed. I have asked #4 several times to rename Spotty, but she likes the name. So, we have a Spot and a Spotty... Oddly enough we also have a Dot for sale. I think we need some better names. I'll try to do better in future litters and breeders.
The neighbor's across the road (down our long driveway, well out of view from our house) had a demolition fire today. I'm not sure if that's the proper term or not. It looked like one of those where you let the local fire department come in and burn down an old house as a learning experience. It was neat to see as we headed out back to Brainerd for the second time today and all the fire fighters were suited up and in a line outside the building with smoke billowing. By the time we got home a couple hours later it was just burning rubble on the ground being tended by a couple fire fighters. I wonder what they'll build in its place.